Thursday, August 21, 2008

One park in two states

Our featured park today is Carowinds. I grew up with this park, literally. It was started in the year that I was born. The reason for the title is that this is the only amusement park I know of that is in two states. It's address is in North Carolina but you enter the parking lot in South Carolina. I will explain more about the two states thing with the last picture.

One of the wooden roller coasters at the park. It was a fun little ride.
The far end of Hurler as you approach it.
Carolina Cyclone is a steel coaster with two loops, a double corkscrew and a helix. Pretty simple design but quite fun.
Vortex is a stand up roller coaster. I've only ridden one stand up and that is Mantis at Cedar Point. I think I'll keep it that way.
Now for the two state explanation. This signpost is just inside the Main Entrance. The brick "line" that I'm standing on and the sign post is on is the "state line". If I recall correctly, from this view, North Carolina is on the left and South Carolina is on the right. I have a picture from 2006 when we took the kids that has Nicholas standing right in front of the sign post with it splitting him in half. He wanted to be able to say that he had been in two places at once.

No comments: